Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Cyborg

Technology and what it stands for….
In a world where we’ve become so dependent on technology we ask ourselves, Can you survive without it? Every Morning before putting two feet on the floor I wake up to check my messages. It’s become so severe that there’s no such thing as writing letters or visiting a friend without knowing if their home or not. Now in days with devices like cell phones it’s so easy to get caught up in someone else’s life and forget about your own. I think about how technology effects human beings in both positive and negative ways. In my opinion the negative value of Technology out beats the positive use of it. I realize that soon there will be no such thing as privacy. It’s so easy to find information about someone that it’s become impossible to live a private life.
I remember my mother telling me stories about growing up in the Dominican Republic with no cell phone, Computer, IPod or T.V. “It’s better that way” she’ll say. People were more in tune with one another; we interacted more and helped each other. It would be simple things like walking over to a neighbor’s house to have coffee and just talk. Now in days people don’t even know who their neighbors are! We barely communicate and it’s all about the cyber world. People rarely visit each other or write letters. Sometimes I wonder if I’m contributing to the “cyborg” world. I mean I do have a cell phone but I hate using it. I am a very private person yet I love to communicate. I rather speak to someone face to face, it shows more emotion. You cannot have a serious conversation through a text it’s just unheard of yet people do it and that is why it get’s lost in translation. In my opinion people are slowly turning into "cyborgs". So I wonder, can this be stopped?

No comments:

Post a Comment